DMV Tips: How to Forward Your Address

26 May 2015
Comments: 3

Category: Auto, Blogs, Home
26 May 2015, Comments: 3
What To Do To Change Your Address

Have you moved recently and put in a forwarding address with the post office? Did you notify the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) of your change in address? It is very important to also notify the DMV of your address change within 10 days of your change in address.


See also: Estate Assist | Estate Planning for the Digital Age


What Could Happen If You Don’t Forward Your Address Correctly?

A common misunderstanding consumers have is that mail from the DMV will automatically be forwardedDepartment of Motor Vehicles to your new address. However, due to confidentiality reasons, it may not be forwarded.

For example, if your car registration is due and you have a ticket that needs to be paid or a license renewal, this will NOT be forwarded to your new address.

A recent scenario we encountered was with a client who received a ticket for expired registration and they never received the ticket in the mail due to them moving. The DMV was not able to forward this information, therefore, the individual’s driver license was suspended for failure to comply with the ticket and provide proof of registration. The client had no knowledge of the suspension because the DMV did not have the correct address on file.

You can simply notify DMV with your new address online by clicking here!


See also: Insurance for Off Road Vehicles and Watercrafts


DMV Requirements

Also the DMV now requires proof of insurance on file in order to keep your vehicle registration active. SoCalifornia driver license be sure to verify that the VIN (vehicle identification number) on the car matches the proof of insurance with your automobile insurance carrier. If the VIN with the carrier does not match, the DMV will issue a letter and potentially suspended your car registration until proof is received along with the $14 reinstatement fee.


If you have any questions regarding this situation please feel free to contact our office; we are always here to help.

Carlsbad Office: (760) 795-2002

Temecula Office: (951) 296-6833


[Image 1] [Image 2]

3 responses on “DMV Tips: How to Forward Your Address

  1. Ivy Baker says:

    I liked that you pointed out that a problem that could happen with you not forwarding your address to the DMV is that your car registration won’t get sent to right place. It does seem like a good thing to be aware of if you want to avoid issues with your car. Personally, I have a hard time keeping track of when I need to do my registration and I would need that reminder to be sent to my home.

  2. I didn’t know you could receive a ticket for expired registration if you don’t update your address. My DMV registration is going to expire soon, but my boyfriend and I are moving and I’m worried that I’ll forget to do it in the chaos of the move. Maybe there’s a way that I can do it early so I don’t get a ticket.

  3. Delores Thurmond says:

    I will be out of state for a few months can my tags be forwarded to the address I’ll be at for the two months?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *