Personal Property Coverage for College Students

14 August 2017
Comments: Comments Off on Personal Property Coverage for College Students
Category: Community, Family
14 August 2017, Comments: Comments Off on Personal Property Coverage for College Students

Are you aware that your home insurance coverage may cover your students’ personal property while away at school? From college dorms to tuition and everything in between, sending your kids away to college can be a challenging time.

Most Homeowners Policies will provide automatic coverage, including personal property and liability, for full time students that meet the policy age requirement (usually under 24 years of age). If the student decides to drop classes during the year, it’s important to check with your agent to determine if they would still be covered on the policy and to what extent. Some policies will provide up to 10% of the personal property limits, while others may contribute the full limit. In addition, most policies provide coverage for books, laptops, and other personal belongings. It’s advisable to check with your agent on the specific characteristics of your policy.

In addition to Homeowner coverage, you’ll also want to understand the options you have with auto coverage. If your child is taking a vehicle with them to school, it’s very important that the auto policy is up to date. Some carriers even provide discounts if you have a student living more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle. It is also important to not exclude your child as a driver while away at school and keep the child listed as a driver on the auto policy while they are away at school, this way in the event the child borrows a vehicle your auto policy would extend coverage to your child if needed.

If you would like more information on how your student is covered, or the opportunity to find additional discounts, please contact your local Carlsbad Insurance agent today.

Comments are closed.