Holiday shopping starts earlier and earlier each year, with some of the best deals happening online. Last year we wrote about 10 Holiday Shopping Tips to Keep You Safe and we focused on in-person shopping. This year we still think in-person safety tips are important but we want to make sure you are secure in your digital shopping as well.
With more and more purchases happening on mobile devices, these online shopping safety tips should be remembered all year long and whether you are on your computer, tablet, or mobile phone.
9 Online Shopping Safety Tips:
- Use secure and trusted wifi networks
- Use your mobile network over public wifi
- Shop on familiar e-commerce websites
- Don’t click too-good-to-be-true deal links
- Don’t give more information than necessary
- Look for https in the URL and the padlock symbol
- Use credit cards instead of debit cards
- Don’t post purchases to social media
- Check online statements regularly, after your purchases, to watch for irregular activity
Homeowner’s Policy Review
Additionally, during the holiday season, it is a good time to review your homeowner’s policy with your insurance agent. If you acquired valuable items, you’ll want to verify that you have proper coverage. The majority of insureds are unaware there is a limitation for jewelry being stolen and it’s subject to your deductible. Typical policies only offer $2,500 in coverage for theft of jewelry.
Feel free to contact your insurance agent today to discuss valuable items and ensure they are properly insured.