10 Tips to Stay Safe While Shopping for the Holidays
The holiday shopping season can be a joyous time of year. However, it is also a prime time of year for thieves to take advantage of opportune situations. Below are some tips to remember while out shopping, to help keep you and your belongings safe:
1. Shop during daylight hours whenever possible and if you go at night go with a friend or family member
2. If you shop at night park in a well-lit area
3. Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, try to avoid being distracted by your phone while walking to your car
4. Try to not put items in the car and leave them to continue shopping, thieves watch for people who leave their shopping bags in vehicles
5. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash
6. If possible do not carry a purse, if you do wear it across the front of you so it can’t easily be stolen
7. Be careful what you post online, don’t alert others you are not home
8. Keep all car doors locked while in or getting out of the car
9. Try to avoid having items delivered to your home if you will not be there. Try to have deliveries sent to work, if your place of work allows it.
10. Avoid leaving discarded boxes (especially TV boxes) on the curb for pickup. This is a good way for thieves to identify what you have in your house.
Homeowner’s Policy Review
Additionally during the holiday season it is a good time to review your homeowner’s policy with your insurance agent. If you acquired valuable items, you’ll want to verify that you have proper coverage. The majority of insureds are unaware there is a limitation for jewelry being stolen and it’s subject to your deductible. Typical policies only offer $2,500 in coverage for theft of jewelry.
Feel free to contact your insurance agent today to discuss valuable items and ensure they are properly insured.