Cleaning the house is never fun, and it is even less enjoyable when you run out of your favorite cleaning products or the clean you are trying to obtain is not clean enough. So we went out and found some cleaning hacks that can be done with items most people already have around the house and may add a fun factor if you want to get the kids involved!
- Clean rugs with a shower squeegee. Running a dry squeegee across your carpet in overlapping rows creates static electricity, pulling up fur, hair, etc., grabbing what your vacuum misses.
- Natural Oxy-type Cleaner.¾ cup hydrogen peroxide, a few teaspoons of baking soda, and a little squirt of dish soap. Watch for the fizz. Good for stain and smell removal. *Note: Peroxide can bleach test on a corner to make sure it is safe for your fabrics, carpet, and furniture.
- Clean your mattress and pillow with a vodka spray! Experts say to clean your mattress and pillows every quarter, but vodka is an odorless disinfectant that evaporates fast, so you won’t have to ever do a deep cleaning!
- Get rid of crayon markings with toothpaste. Use a white, non-gel toothpaste that contains baking soda. Apply with a clean toothbrush, scrub gently, then wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Use the sun for those stained food storage containers! After washing the containers with water and dish soap, place on a towel in the sun. Let sit for 8 hours. Rinse and dry.
- Tackle marks on upholstery with shaving cream. Apply a small dollop of a standard white shaving cream on a damp cloth. Dab the spot, let sit for 30 minutes, then clean with a new damp cloth. If a stain still remains, reapply and leave overnight.
- Mop with your feet! Have old absorbent socks? Combine equal amounts of water and white vinegar, spray the bottom of your socks and glide across the baseboards. Go from the farthest corner to the entry way. When done toss your socks in the washing machine!
For more home cleaning hack inspiration, visit: