While the Internet provides an accessible, easy, and convenient way to research and purchase consumer products and merchandise, including insurance, there are still many benefits to purchasing insurance through an agent. For example, agents are able to explain coverage, offer recommendations, and share helpful knowledge to help you select an insurance policy that accommodates your needs. However, if you decide to obtain insurance via the Internet, we’ve put together a few steps to follow to help protect you.
- Do your homework – research the various options in order to find and select the insurance coverage plan that best fits your needs.
- Obtain information about the company and the agent (Are they licensed in the state? How long have they been in business? How well do they pay claims? Note: the Department of Insurance can provide this information).
- Understand your coverage and everything you have purchased (for example, comprehensive means that it pays for repair or replacement of your vehicle not resulting from an accident, such as theft, vandalism or a non collision accident).
- Understand the limits. California State liability has limitations for auto coverage, requiring minimum liability limits of 15/30 and 5. Understand what these limits mean,and whether or not these limits are sufficient.
- Check on You Homeowner’s Insurance. Do you have adequate coverage to avoid being underinsured? Review a replacement cost estimator to determine the proper coverage you need.
- Seek advice. A licensed agent can recommend the coverage you need for your particular situation.
- Look for warnings or red flags, such as a rate that appears to be too good to be true, or a large deposit with no physical address given by the company or agent.
- Obtain confirmation. Keep copies of the application, the quote, the proof of insurance, and the payment receipt for your records.
For additional information or to obtain a quote, please visit our website at www.hwpinsurance.com, or you can call our Carlsbad Insurance office at (760)795-2002 or our Temecula Insurance office at (951)296-6833.