Spring is here, and with a new season it gives homeowners a reason to perform regularly needed maintenance around the house.
Below are a few tips to help you keep your home in tip top condition:
- Check your water heater for leaks and corrosion
- Clean or replace your furnace filter
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust, duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust and pieces of material
- Replace all high intensity bulbs with fluorescent bulbs
- Check your fire extinguisher at least yearly, including the hose, nozzle and other parts to make sure they are in good working condition
- Daylight savings time is the perfect time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors
- Inspect and clean out all rain gutters
- Remove any dead trees in your yard and be sure to cut back any branches that could touch your roof
- Be sure trees are trimmed and leaves are not touching or near any utility wires
- Safely store oil and gas for your lawn equipment and tools in a well vented locked area
- Examine your roof shingles to see if any were damaged or removed during the winter
And remember…insurance typically excludes claims related to neglecting to maintain the home. Therefore, its extra important to check your home regularly and keep maintenance up to date.