It’s that time of year when millions of Americans hit the road for their summer vacation adventures. Nothing can be more fun and relaxing than a trip to a dream destination. However, to avoid a nightmare while you’re away, take some time to use some basic precautions.
- Be careful how you use your social media accounts while away. Posting too much information can be an advertisement that you’re absent from your home. It’s generally better to wait until you return from your trip to post your vacation photos and adventure stories.
- As lost wallets are the leading cause of identity theft, take extra care with your wallet, credit cards, and identification while travelling. Only carry what you need.
- While away, stop your newspaper delivery, or have someone pick them up. Papers on your driveway are an advertisement that no one is home.
- If you do not have a security alarm protecting your home, consider using other options, such as a control that turns your lights on and off. Video surveillance systems (such as Ring and Blink), are inexpensive, and easy to install. They will help you keep an “eye” on your home while away, and add an additional layer of deterrence.
- Have a trusted friend or relative keep an eye on your house while you’re away.
A few simple steps can help insure a happy return home from your dream vacation! For additional information on how your insurance protects you while you’re away, please reach out to an insurance professional at Hatter, Williams & Purdy Insurance.