Nobody enjoys being in a car accident, but odds are that everybody will be involved in at least a fender bender once in their life. The following link provides some great tips, clarifications, and avoidance techniques when it comes to your daily driving and auto insurance. Remember to drive defensively and there is no shame in being a cautious! Important tips to remember:
In summary please make sure to:
- Read your policy. Don’t wait until after an accident.
- If you don’t understand your policy ask your agent to clarify.
- If you have an accident call the police if there are injuries.
- Get as much information as possible at the accident scene (for all involved parties gather information including name, address, phone number, drivers license & license plate numbers, if possible).
- If you have a camera, or cell phone camera, take photos of the damage and position of the cars.
- If the damage exceeds $750 (regardless of who is at fault) report the claim to the DMV and fill out an SR1 form within 10 days ( http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.pdf ). Failure to notify the DMV may result in suspension of your driver’s license.
- Immediately notify your San Diego Insurance agent and/or insurance company of the accident.
- Cooperate with the insurance adjusters/investigators to aid in their efforts.
- If you don’t understand something about the claims procedure ask your agent to explain.
- Don’t admit fault at the scene let the claims adjuster make that decision.