The December Holiday season can be one of the most joyous times of the year. It can also be one of the most destructive, and deadliest. According to the National Fire Protection Association, Christmas trees account for approximately 400 fires each year, resulting in more than a dozen deaths and $10 million in property loss. Please take the following steps to insure a safe and happy Holiday Season:
- Artificial trees should have a “Fire Resistant” Underwriters Laboratory label.
- Natural trees should be as fresh as possible. Look for trees that are fresh cut, and moist. Keep the tree in a bucket of water, to assist in moisture absorption. As trees become more dry and brittle, the risk of a fire hazard increases greatly.
- Make sure the tree is placed in a location that does not increase a fire hazard. Away from fireplaces, candles, and portable heaters.
- Use only lights that have a Underwriters Labs Seal of Approval.
- Double check the electrical connections. Make sure there are no frays in the electric cords, and all connections are tight.
- Keep the lights on a timer, and make sure they are off when you are away, or when you go to bed.
- After gifts are opened, remove the wrapping paper and packaging as soon as possible, as wrapping paper is highly combustible.
- When Christmas is over, take down the tree and dispose of it at a tree recycling center. Never burn Christmas trees in a fireplace. Needles and the dry branches burn very quickly, and hot, and can easily get out of control.
Taking a few simple precautionary measures will insure a safe Holiday Season for you and your family!
Here’s wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday Season, from your friends at Hatter, Williams & Purdy Insurance.